Hubbard Woods / Winnetka
June 15, 2009
Last week, I had the pleasure of visiting Paul Zurowski, one of the owners of Sawbridge Studios, in Winnetka. Paul’s airy and light-filled store at Tower Court just behind Green Bay Road (Scoop alert: Sawbridge soon will open a small storefront on Green Bay that will lead you through the back to its horse-barn-turned-home-furnishings gem on Tower Court.)
Sawbridge is filled with beautiful, artisan-made furniture and accessories. At every turn, your breath is taken away. Just a few reasons: Amazing art quilts by Judith Larzelere of Westerly, R.I. ($1,850 to $3,500), that you have to stop and rub your hand over; fused glass pieces by Marianne
Shepardson of North Carolina ($32 to $120); chairs and beds ($310 to $2,300) made of reclaimed woods by Margaret & Simone of Georgia (one of their beds is in the Smart Home at the Museum of Science and Industry). All made by hand.
You may pay a price for that. But, if you can, it is so worth it.
It was hard to leave Sawbridge. So when I did, I kept looking for more beauty for the home. I found it at a bunch of stores surrounding Sawbridge. Here they are briefly (If you want to share your thoughts about these shops to clue others in on your experiences there or talk about someplace I’ve left out, please drop a few words in the comments area below!):
* Trellis & Trugs, 1009 Green Bay Rd., Winnetka, 847-784-6910, trellisandtrugs.com. Large vases, statues, benches and more for the garden. Loved the pair of late 19th Century majestic lion statues (2 feet tall and 3 feet long) that once lorded over a Belian amusement park — but had to pass them up this time at $5,850 each.
* Artistica Italian Gallery, 990 Green Bay Rd., Winnetka, 847-446-2916, italiangallery.com. Beautiful hand-painted dinnerware, containers, tiles, wine stoppers — all from Italy.
* Hastens Beds, 967 Green Bay Rd., Winnetka, 847-441-5337, passionforbeds.com. Home of highest-end mattresses built by hand of natural materials.
* Stella Fine Furniture, 952 Green Bay Rd., Winnetka, 847-441-4210, www.stellafinefurniture.com.
* Hubbard Woods Kitchen & Bath, 952 Green Bay Rd., Winnetka, 847- 835-4400.
*Knightsbridge Antiques, 928 Green Bay Rd., Winnetka, 847-441-5105, knightsbridgeantique.com
* The Bergelin Home Store, 920 Green Bay Rd., Winnetka, 847-446-8540, www.rbcfurn.com. Weighty traditional furniture by Robert Bergelin and made in North Carolina.
* The Antique Emporium, 915 Green Bay Rd., Winnetka, 847-446-0584
*Monckton Gallery Inc., 913 Green Bay Rd. # 1, Winnetka, 847-446-1106
* Pagoda Red, 902 Green Bay Rd., Winnetka, 847-784-8881, pagodared.com. As at its Chicago location (1714 N. Damen Ave., 773-235-1188), this shop is filled with wonderful Chinese antiques. But what I was really wowed by were big, sensual stones called peony or jade blossom stones that are imbedded with actual jade. And pudding stone that’s been carved into basins. And DO NOT miss venturing out back into the garden. You probably never saw anything like the tai hu stones from Lake Tai in China. They’re actualy eroded limestone and are beautiful and textural ($480 for 3-foot-tall piece; $2,200 for 14 feet).
* Northern Lights, 894 Green Bay Rd., Winnetka, 847-446-4224, northernlightswinnetka.com. Lovely lamps and shades.
* Rare Finds Ltd., 890 Green Bay Rd., Winnetka, 847-446-5449. You guessed it: antiques found here.
* Susan Kroeger for the Home, 886 Green Bay Rd., Winnetka, 847-441-0346
* Seagrass, 895 Green Bay Rd., Winnetka, 847-446-8444, seagrasshome.com. Think vacation, think cottage, think peaceful and pretty. We found a vintage mongrammed doorknob-cum-wine stopper to take home. (But don’t tell my beau, it’s his Father’s Day gift!)
* Arts 220, 895 1/2 Green Bay Rd., Winnetka, 847-501-3084, arts220.com. Art and design of the 20th Century.
* Sawbridge Studios, 897 1/2 Green Bay Rd., Winnetka, 847-441-2441, sawbridgestudios.com. As mentioned above, this is soon to open and will lead you to the bigger space on Tower Court. (Yes, Sawbridge also has a Chicago location at 153 W. Ohio St., 312-828-0055.) It’s all about “pride of craftsmanship” here.
* Benvenuti and Stein Design LLC, 899 1/2 Green Bay Rd. , Winnetka, 847-866-6868,
Benvenutiandstein.com. Design/build services and handmade cabinetry.
* Bedside Manor Ltd., 929 Green Bay Rd., Winnetka, 847-441-0969, shopbedside.com. Accessories (and some furniture) for the bedroom, bath and table.
* Marigolds, 1054 Gage St., Winnetka, 847-446-8444. Charming little antiques store. Loved the Bakelite bracelets and vintage hankies ($6).
~ Elaine Matsushita